Leading manufacturer of high precision measuring equipment.
To develop an on-line production hand held optical measuring system for the assessment of automotive engine block cylinder bores. The system is used to analyse the cross-hatch angle on a plateau-honed cylinder bore as this parameter can have a significant impact on engine performance and fuel consumption.
Key challenges on this project included:
• Circuit and PCB design.
• Network interface to control electronics.
• Firmware and algorithm development for real time motion control.
• Development of PC based interface libraries for customer system integration.
• Selection of precision optical motorised components.
• Design/configuration of the optical elements.
• Design precision motion elements with fine adjustment features.
• Compact design to achieve weight and footprint criteria.
This system was developed in conjunction with AMETEK Taylor Hobson. Micron Design was responsible for the design and manufacture of the complete mechanical, electrical/electronic and software control systems for the measuring head which incorporated fine axis control and motorised optical componentry. Micron supplied the necessary electronics/software interface elements to allow the customer to implement the necessary analytical assessment software.
The project has been successfully completed and installed at numerous engine plant facilities worldwide. The dedicated solution enables very quick assessment of cylinder bore parameters on-line.